Often imitated, never duplicated                     Mixed Media - artwork using more than one medium.

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Mid-Month Guest Designer - Ingrid Kristina V

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge is starting a new mid-month guest designer post! We'll be inviting some frequent players to come join us for the 15th of the month to share a new project and tutorial with us all.

Our first mid-month guest designer is INGRID from Ingrid's Craft Corner! We love what she created and we truly thank her for sharing her work with us!

**********

Welcome, Ingrid!

Hi there, my name is Ingrid Kristina V. I’m in my early 30’s and live in London with my FiancĂ© and our two little girls. I have always been a crafty soul and enjoy cardmaking, art journaling, creating fine or mixed media art and more, which I share regularly on my blog Ingrid's Crafts Corner. My cardmaking style is clean, simple and contemporary, with bold and bright features, as well as artsy, grungy and fun. My art could be described as grungy, textured, vintage, but I also like to play with colours and visual textures. I have an enormous passion for mixed media and love the creative freedom it gives me. I also love to experiment and often develop new techniques that I share with excitement with my blog buddies. 
Winner of the UK national competition - The Card Designer 2014 - Simply Cards & Papercraft magazine, also a Designer 2015 for the magazine.
Designer for GlitzCraft. 
Designer for Eclectic Ellapu challenge blog. 
Owner & designer for the Mixed Media World challenge blog. 

***********


Firstly, I'd like to thank Rachel and her team for inviting me to guest design for the fabulous Mixed Media Monthly Challenge blog. It is a great honour! 

I had a real fun creating my project for this post. I wanted my artwork to be textured (otherwise it wouldn't be me), I wanted it to have an organic feel and have soft pastel colours. I think I achieved all of the above. 

It all started with Gesso base on a grey board, followed by a layer of a site pretty lace trims to the left. I added layers of masking tape, tulle fabric and some torn natural twine arranged into organic patterns around the edges. 


The entire piece was treated with a bit of Gesso.



I formed a heart on top of my lace area using my Light Modelling Paste by Liquitex and let it dry. This was frustrating, you can't heat dry modelling paste as it will puff up. Or can you?!:) and so I did! I wanted to. It was nice and puffy when I used my fingers to pull the upper 'skin' of the paste to create wrinkles. Then I let it completely dry. I also added some of the White Crackle paste by Prima, covered some areas with the Glass Beads by Galleria and when dry covered all in a layer of Gesso again.


It was time to add colour to my project. I decided to use my beautiful Aquarelle Pencil set by Faber-Castell knowing they are very pigmented and the colour choices are endless. I'm proud to say I just HAD TO buy all 120 of them :) My name is Ingrid and I'm a Craft-a-holic! They are awesome! I chose these gorgeous shades of peach and pink. I wanted to highlight and shade only around the edges of the layered lace so the pencils were perfect for it. I thought about using my Big Brush Pitt pens by Faber-Castell, but the pencils did the job beautifully! I used my water brush to distribute the colour. 



Now you will think I'm a bit crazy... My Mum certainly was when I asked her to pick some dry twigs there. She certainly thought I was bonkers when explaining I wanted to make a bird nest :) I elaborated further that being a mixed media artist means using various media and materials bringing them together into one masterpiece. Mixed media at least for me means an absolute freedom of expression and that's the way I create. That's why I love Mixed Media style. So to continue.. Now I had a half of a dry bush inside my kitchen, a great reminder of the fact my garden needs trimming (I wonder if this was my Mum's intention..), I selected a few tiny twigs and literally glued them into my project using my Mod Podge Matte. I simply left it under an acrylic block for a while. All covered in Gesso again, lightened up the heart too… 


Ok, the base was ready. Out came the Hazelnut Distress Paint and the Calypso Teal diluted Dylusions spray. I added a colour here and there diluting it and drying it as I went. When happy enough I added some of the gorgeous Rust Distress EP by Tim Holtz and the yummy Shabby Blue and Shabby White frantage by Stampendous to a few corners and edges. I love creating a contrast using glitter on top of my grunge. I personally came up with a name for this style - 'Glam Grunge'. Catchy, right?!:) 
I sponged around the raised areas and edges using the Archival Potting Soil ink and highlighted the raised areas in white Gesso. Added some Glimmer Glaze by Tattered Angels. 

I added my embellishments - the birdie, the cage (Tim Holtz die), these were inked with Distress Inks and crackled using the Picket Fence Crackle paint by Tim Holtz. I added a few buttons, some are vintage like the cute little round ones on the front. I 'rusted' a few metal buttons simply by embossing them using the Tim Holtz rust EP. Do not touch the metal buttons immediately after heating the powder. Guess how I know?! I finished the piece off with a few paper flowers by Glitzcraft and added some gesso on top. It needed a little extra colour to the flowers so I used the Aquarelle pencils taking the colour with a wet brush.. 
I added some half rusted metal rings from my stash and a self-made badge to the top left corner too. Masterpiece done!







*********

Isn't her canvas GORGEOUS?! I love how she gathered twigs from her garden to create a bird's nest! Thank you to Ingrid for joining our March "Birds of a Feather" challenge as a guest designer! Make sure you visit her BLOG HERE to see much more from Ingrid!


CLICK HERE TO JOIN OUR CURRENT CHALLENGE! Our sponsor and prizes are from Faber Castell Design Memory Craft!! You have until March 31 11:59PM to enter!

17 comments:

  1. Great combination of textures and colour Ingrid. Love the composition on this too. Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 'Glam Grunge' piece is superb Ingrid, a gorgeous piece of art! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant piece Ingrid and a fantastic step by step! Love every corner of it and the twigs are a great addition! The textures all look fantastic and the colours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning canvas Ingrid! love the pale color palette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY SNICKER-DOODLES!! I am blown away by this stunning piece Ingrid! LOVE how you put the background together! Wonderful way to get amazing textures! Fabulous arrangement of flowers and foliage and your bird and birdcage are just fantastic! Gorgeous!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes I knew it would be this fantastic! An absolute shining example of mixed media at its very best,a beautiful creation!
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for joining us Ingrid! Your piece is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, stunning, fabulous !!!!! LOVE your mixed media layout. Love your style. And do agree so much on the way you see what mixed media is about. Adding the twigs is a great example...lol
    Thank you for a lovely easy understandable tutorial.nit was very inspiring to read ( also your funny notes...lol ).
    Thanks for sharing your fab ART with us. Hugs from Monica... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Love the background techniques and all of the details!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ingrid, absolutely amazing and gorgeous! Thank you for sharing your step-by-step process - it was awesome watching it move along to its finish. All of the elements and, the wonderful twigs, are perfect. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning work from Ingrid, love the pretty colours and amazing texture she's created. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous glam-grunge at it's best - love what you did with the twigs too xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful project! Love how you described all the steps - thank you so much for sharing with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ingred, this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for being our guest designer. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous creation from Ingrid - so pretty and delicate, and beautifully composed.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!